menstrual cup for daughter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

menstrual cup for daughter

Post  hairballsplat on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:23 pm

i LOVE my cups so much and can't believe that i just found out (7 months ago) about these wonderful inventions. i also can't help but think about explaining a cup along with all the other options when my daughter is old enough to need something. the crazy thing is, she's 3. i probably shouldn't even be thinking about that sort of thing yet. i guess it worries me that i'll explain that whole possibly uncomfortable topic wrong or not in a way that will promote discussion. anyways...i've got YEARS to think about that.

Last edited by hairballsplat on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
hairballsplat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: menstrual cup for daughter

Post  Melissa569 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 pm

I grew up in a REALLY open-worded family, lol. My mother is the up-front sort, and I guess when she was little, she really had nobody to talk to about "woman" things. She was the oldest daughter, of 8 children, and ended up practically raising all her siblings. She and her mother didn't get along, though. So she wanted to make sure that she, myself and my older sister were close, and had no problems discussing things from day 1.

My mother was not too strict about modesty either. Of course, she never did this with my brothers, but... With us girls, mom would use the toilet while we were in the bathroom. Like if I was taking a bath, or if my sister was doing her makeup... And sometimes we would catch a glimpse of a pad-change. So from a very early age, my sister and I both saw first-hand how periods were taken care of.

But as for talking, because I was SEEING the occasional bloody pad, mom openly explained to me very early what a period was, and how to handle it. See, the women in my family usually started early. Mom started at age 10. So she wanted to make sure we girls were prepared and comfortable with the idea. She didn't want us to be afraid of it, or confused. She would laugh about it with us, joke about it, etc. It was never a bad or unknown thing to us.

I remember the very first time I learned that my mom had periods. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth,standing on my little booster stool, so I could see the mirror. Mom was in there too. I saw ehr change her pad, and I said, "Mommy! You're bleeding!"

She said, "Yeah, I know. Its ok. When women get older, we bleed every 28 days."

I said, "Why?"

She said (very confidently and causally with a smile), "Because, that's how we turn into a woman. The first time it happens, that's mother nature telling you that you're all grown up."

Most little girls like to play dress-up, because deep inside, we wanna be just like the "grown up ladies". So in a way, my mom's words almost made me look forward to it.
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hairball on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:19 pm

i guess that's how it was in my house growing up too...it was my mom, my sister and me sharing the bathroom. but i don't remember when i was little...i don't remember the first time i realized what they were doing/using. plus my brain has been a little thrown off by having an extremely curious first born son. we're just started introducing the reproductive discussion (age-appropriate) to him. guess by the time she's more curious, we'll have already shared the info with him, or he'll be ready to hear it too. this is turning into more of a parenting thing, than a cup thing...sorry.

hairball

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top