Heyyy :) I am Tara and a wannabe cup user :))

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heyyy :) I am Tara and a wannabe cup user :))

Post  tara1996 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:05 pm

[left] Hey everyone Smile as you can see, my name is Tara and i have a problem with putting too many smileys Smile)

So...I am 14 years old and a swimmer Smile My mom isn't very eco-friendly and wants me to use tampons...which, several of my friends (also swimmers) say they hate. So, of course, I had to go online to see if there is an alternative to tampons and guess what I found out about....CUPS! (hahaha I just sounded so unbelievably stupid right there) I tried talking to my mom about it, and she says "absolutely not. that sounds gross."

Anyways, I've been looking at them online for a while, and I've decided that I kindof want a lunette selene...my only problem is that they don't sell them where I live and even if I did find a way to get one, wouldn't my mom notice my lack of needing...ermm.....supplies? (tips/suggestions are welcome Smile )

looking forward to talking to ya'll Smile

Tara (and YES I am from the south..that is why I can get away with saying ya'll Smile )

tara1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Heyyy :) I am Tara and a wannabe cup user :))

Post  Serpent on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:11 pm

hi and welcome!
well, it's pretty much your personal choice what sort of products to use. especially if you can save your own money or get it from another family member.
have you actually used tampons and is there anything specific you can mention to her? like if they dry you out or increase/cause cramps Neutral
you can also try showing her the videos, that's what made mine warm to the idea. tell her they're fda approved, show her the sites you've been reading Smile
or also, you can get some cloth pads and tell her you've switched to them but instead use them as backup if ever. unless she finds the reusable factor gross - after being able to use only self-made cloth pads in the ussr times, nobody here in russia minds it so i didn't even think of that at first. but really that's exactly what women used for centuries, and i'm sure it's easy for you to list a number of reasons why disposables suck Mad
good luck! many, many first think it's gross, but a great deal of women change their minds when they find out more Very Happy
Serpent

View user profile http://serpent-849.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:28 am

Welcome Tara! Glad you found your way to our forum Smile

I do have some suggestions for your situation though:

Give your mom some time. 2 years ago, when I first found out about cups and tried to tell my mother about them--- she COMPLETELY flipped out! lol. Lord, you should have heard her-- she thought it was the most horrible idea ever. Even though I was 27, married, and living in my own home, she said to me (and I quote) "I better not catch you using those!!" She was never the sort to be eco-friendly. She has always been the Queen of disposable this, and disposable that, lol. And actually, I had never done a single eco-friendly thing before either. But I was curious about cups, and I decided to have my husband buy me one a month later. And I broke it to my mom gently that I used them, lol. Well, today, my mom is so proud of the websites I have set up, the relationships I've built with the companies, and the little cup-selling business I'm running from home. She is my biggest supporter now, and even tells other people about them for me! She also offered to help me expand a bit, after she gets her disability settlement, by investing some of her money into product stock for me. Smile So you never how people can change. How things will work out. When it comes to the love of a daughter, mothers can surprise you. And even if she doesn't change her mind-- she still loves you, and always will Smile

But as far as getting a cup and breaking the news to her goes... Well, you could always gradually take over purchasing your supplies... Just come up to her when you're about to leave for school, or go out somewhere with friends, or to a school activity, and say "Hey mom, could I have (whatever amount your usual brand of pads/tampons costs)?? I'm feeling a litttle crampy and spotting, so I wanted to pick up some girl stuff at the store." Start doing that all the time, and let her get used to it. Then if you do get a cup, you will have a little wiggle romm to break the news to her whenever you see fit.

Then you can buy the cheapest brands, and save the rest for a cup. Like generic / store brands. Maybe offer to do some household chores for a few bucks. Or (if you like kids, and know someone who has a few) you can offer to babysit for someone. Most adults appreciate it when teens are trying to embrace the adult-world "time and labor for money" exchange, and (usually) encourage it.

Again, welcome to the forum, if you have questions, feel free to ask Smile
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tara1996 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:13 pm

@Serpent-you're from Russia? that is SOO COOL!!!....anyways...she does find the reusable factor gross....but I will try showing her Melissa's videos....maybe that'll work Smile thanks Smile)

@Melissa-maybe our mothers have met..mine is like the Grand Duchess of disposables (paper sacks for lunch, nonrecyclable items...etc) Smile I already do chores, but my parents say "i feed you and let you live here. that is your payment." But I will try to get my neighbors to hire me to babysit their kids... Smile and as for me buying my own girl stuff....my mom won't let me because A) I can't drive and B) she's stacked up on enough for practically forever

but we'll see....talk to ya'll later Smile

~tara Smile

tara1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 am

Oooooh, I see. Yeah that is a pretty tough situation. I'll try to pass on as many givaway opportunities as I can to you though Smile

Haha, yeah our moms probably have met. Its not that my mom is intentionally wasteful... I think its more that she's a germ-a-phobe. She had this heart murmur thing from birth, and her doctor told her "Don't ever get germs or infections into your bloodstream, because if it goes to your heart-- you're finished!" So she's always been really scared of anything that could potentially carry germs. She's very loving and amazing though.
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  tara1996 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Melissa- oh..that is a very valid reason for not wanting reusables...i hope she is fine though!!! and thanks for the giveaway opportunities Smile

tara1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:24 am

The germ thing is funny because tampons are known for not only allowing, but sometimes even encouraging (aiding and abetting?) bacterial growth - which is why TSS happens. Cups are quite the opposite. They create a very bacteria-un-friendly environment, which can be cleaned to the point of pretty-close-to-sterile.

Your mum may be under the impression that tampons are sterile...point out to her that they're not, it might help.
ankhst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Feminine Wear on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:37 am

Hi Tara, welcome to the forum.
Melissa, that is an amazing story about your Mother. And so she should be proud of you - you have achieved so much and are highly respected in the field Very Happy
Feminine Wear

View user profile http://www.femininewear.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 am

Thanks Teresa, I really love what I do now, and I'm very grateful for all your help support, it means so much to me Smile
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  purplelover on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 am

Hi Tara, and welcome! Smile

I must say I don't really have any suggestions as to how to convince your mum, although I think you've had some pretty good suggestions from other people...

I just wanted to say it's great that you want to use a cup at your age, I wish I'd found out about cups at 14! (although I have this feeling my mum wouldn't have wanted them either Razz). I take it from the comment on your mum not being too eco-friendly you want something reusable. If that's not the case, and it's just because of not wanting to use tampons (I hate them too!) maybe you should try Insteads softcups? Perhaps your mum wouldn't mind as they're disposable...

Anyway, I think getting a cup is a great idea, I'm sure your mum will eventually agree to it. Just keep at it!

cheers

purplelover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top