LEAKS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LEAKS!

Post  kank0821 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:21 pm

So, I just started using my divacup, and for the most part, I love it! The only downside is that it's leaking! I can get it in without a problem, and I try to twist it, but I can't tell if I actually am. How can I tell if the seal has been formed? How can I form the seal if I can't twist the cup?

kank0821

Back to top Go down

Re: LEAKS!

Post  Melissa569 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:45 am

Its ok if you can't twist a cup, there are lots of people who can't. I wouldn't say its really twisting that creates a suction, its more positioning, and how much air you let the cup draw in. People who cant' twist a cup still use it successfully. As long as your cup feels mostly round on all sides, its open.

As for the cup leaking... It might not be anything you are doing. It could be a position issue (always insert into the vagina aiming back toward the rectum, as that's how we naturally slant). Make sure your cervix is not outside the cup-- sometimes if your cervix is very low, it is possible for it to "peak" around the outer side of the cup. That can cause leaks, since the blood comes otu the tiny hole of the cervix. It would basically be like holding a glass sideways under running water.

Thee are a few other things it could be:

1-- Cup is too big or too small.
2-- Cup is not the right shape for your anatomy.
3-- Leaving the cup in too long with a heavy flow.
4-- Internal abnormalities (tilted cervix/unterus, curved vagina-- yonly your doctor could tell you that).

Which cup is right for you greatly depends on where your cervix tends to sit during yoru cycle (it moves up and down at different points of the month), how heavy yoru flow is, sexual activity, and weather or not you've had a child. Sometimes your age too, as our pelvic floor muscles can relax a bit when we get over 30.

I would say vary your angles a bit (vaginally, some of us are sloped slightly upward, some are slanted straight back almost parallel to the floor), and try inserting with the fold crease facing sideways or downward (that tends to help it pop open better). You can keep a finger next tot he side of the cup, to guide it open mroe slowly, and allow an air channel for the tiny holes, this helps a lot. Always check to make sure the sides all feel round.

If that doesn't stop the leaking, then its probably not anything you are doing. It may be one of the above-listed issues. In that case, we can try to figure out of a different cup might help, via some specific personal info. But I always try to help people make their current cup work first, since cups aren't cheap Smile

Hope that helps,

M
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kandk082 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 pm

I just thought I'd stop by and say thanks! Your advice totally helped, and I did get it to stop leaking!

kandk082

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm

That's wonderful! I'm glad its working out for you. Thanks for letting us know! Much of the time, a few tricks can solve the problem, and success stories are very encouraging for everyone. Smile

Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top