Using Saline to Clean Diva Cup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using Saline to Clean Diva Cup

Post  telula on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:21 am

Hi, I just got my DivaCup last week and have yet to use it. I am currently recovering from Chemo and I also have Psoriasis and super sensitive skin and don't want to use anything that might irritate my skin or might not kill any bacteria that could possibly give me an infection. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows the cleaning properties of Saline and whether or not it could damage my DivaCup. I know that nurses use it to irrigate wounds instead of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol, and it's also used for contact lens care which means that it won't damage eyes if someone accidently gets it in one of them. I'm hesitant to use anything that you wouldn't want to get in your eye (ie: vinegar or alcohol).

Thanks so much!

telula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Saline to Clean Diva Cup

Post  Melissa569 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:39 am

Not sure about saline. Haven't checked into that yet. However, I know there are some things that we can chew up and swallow, that we should still never put in our vagina Smile .

But to be on the safe side-- boiling with plain water will do the trick. Probably better and more safely than many other methods. Also, a mild, perfume-free wash, like feminine wash, or any wash that a cup manufacturer makes. Those are very gentle, and will do well between sterilizing to keep the cup clean. Also remember-- the silicone has natural antibacterial properties. The just the material itself is working against germs Smile
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  telula on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm really hesitant to use anything that could alter the ph balance of my vagina and I won't use a feminine wash because they can cause more harm than good, and a lot of them contain carcinogenics. Dr. Oz even advises against them and said that "a vagina is like a self cleaning oven and that it will automatically flush out any impurities" and that it's not a good idea to put anything up there that could upset the natural pH balance.

Here's a link that shows the effects that feminine washes can have. http://www.ehow.com/list_6183179_effects-feminine-wash.html

telula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:54 pm

I have heard the saying about it being a self-cleaning oven. I agree. If anyone does use a soap, it should be ph balanced, at the very least.

Personally in the shower, I only wash the outside of my body with gentle soap. Anything else-- just plain water. And of course, the doctors are advising women these days never to douche, because it washes away your good bacteria, leaving you vulnerable to infection.

I know boiling can be kind of a pain, but I myself do it every cycle, before I use my cup. I think that might be the safest approach for you, at least on the first day of your cycle. As for other times, many women will just flush their cups at every emptying session with plain hot water, given the materials natural antibacterial properties. I'm not sure what the companies say about that, but it is a choice of many. If you're really trying to avoid all unatural influences on your body... I'm concerned even saline might be ok for the eyes, but not the vagina. I'm not sure, but its worth looking into.

You'd be surprised what can be in stuff for eyes... You know if you put a whole bunch of regular eye drops in someone's drink, it can make them pass out? I saw that in a video back in college about avoiding date rape, and such. It was pretty surprising. I don't know whats in there that might cause it, but still a freaky thought, lol.
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  telula on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Because saline can be used for so many things other than cleaning contact lenses (irrigating wounds, IV's, etc.) I thought it would be a safe choice. But you've given me a lot to think about Melissa (and I didn't realize that silicone had it's own natural antibacterial properties until you mentioned it). Thanks so much!

telula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:45 pm

You are quite welcome Smile
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:07 am

Were you intending to make or buy the saline? The commercially produced saline washes for firstaid kits and the like at approx. the same pH as your body should be - that is, slightly acidic (around 5.5-6). Salt solutions are also, by their nature, buffers, reducing fluctuations in pH from their natural one. I don't think the pH of saline would be an issue, but make sure the solution is high quality and clean...and don't boil in it (that'll up the concentration), just use it as a rinse.
ankhst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  telula on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:03 pm

I was going to use basic saline for contact lenses or maybe go to a medical supply store and use the same stuff the nurses do when they clean wounds. And I was just going to use it as a rinse and not a soak.

I didn't realize it could be made at home. Do you have any info you could share on how to make it? Thanks so much!

telula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  telula on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:12 pm

So I went out and got the Diva Wash today, have yet to try it. I've heard so many positive things about it and will give it a try. I also picked up some "Wysi Wipes" to use for when I'm in a public restroom. They are about the size of a peppermint. You just wet them and they expand to a soft washcloth about 9x9 inches. They are completely natural and biodegradable as well as scent and chemical free.

I'll give the saline a try later on.

telula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm

ankhst -- thank you for the saline info, very helpful Smile

telula-- Let us know how the saline goes. As for Divawash, to me it kind of smell slike oranges. My first "regular" cup was Divacup, and I used it for about a year. I always washed it with divawash, every time I emptied it. It still looks pretty new. I'm not sure if its the Divawash, or if its how often I washed it and how thuroughly (I am pretty thurough in washing and rinsing). But I like how it makes my hands feel soft Smile
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top