Kiwi cup user(s)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kiwi cup user(s)

Post  ankhst on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:06 am

Hi, I'm Mia. I'm a recent cup convert from New Zealand. I've convinced a group of my friends to try cups too, even organising a group order to eliminate excuses.

I'm a former microbiologist, now doing postgraduate research in Gender and Sexuality Studies. I'm thinking about starting a PhD next year, possibly on women and menstruation, and the technologies they employ. I'm also interested in scientific and indigenous discourses of the body how these are employed in bi/multicultural settings and in development.

I have a femmecup and a greencup, I want a MiaCup (for obvious reasons - and because it would match my pink hair) and a fleurcup and maybe a shecup... so much for saving me money. lol.

Are tehre any other Kiwis here?
ankhst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kiwi cup user(s)

Post  LisBeth on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:42 am

Ciao Mia!
I am not a kiwi but I would like to say welcome all the same cheers
Wow, New Zealand should be so beautiful...I've never been there. I am from Italy but I really like to travel around the world...

Yes, I agree...you should totally get a MiaCup! If it existed a Cup called like me, I would surely buy it Razz Especially if it matched with your hair color! Pink hair...sounds great!
LisBeth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:54 am

Welcome! Glad to have someone from New Zeland Smile

Just wanted to ask-- Are any of the brands easily available in NZ, like in health food stores maybe, or are they all mail order? I never got the chance to ask anyone that. I know Lunette is being made mroe available is Aus, but I was jsut curious.

Glad to see you getting right into the topics here, thanks for joining. Sounds like your educational backgrond could be quite helpful Smile
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:11 am

It's wierd, because even though they're not mainstream they aren't unknown here, but they are very hard to find. I first heard about cups about 10 years ago when they were mentioned in a pagan magazine as part of a 'moontime' ritual.

Availability depends which city you live in. In Christchurch I've found Divas (at $85 each!), but only in one store. I know there's another store that sticks cups, but I can't remember which brand. I've only ever seen 1 Christchurch store selliong cloth pads too (same place as the Diva cups). I went to all the main healthfood and organics stores and asked about cups and cloth pads - only Piko Wholefoods sold them. Everyone had the organic disposables! Only 1 store that didn't stock them knew what tehre were; they said they couldn't get them in cheap enough to be worth selling. I suspect they're not trying very hard.

Generally tends to be cheaper and easier to get them online. Our local auction site has Keepers, keeper mooncups, Lunettes and femmecups regularly, and a few chinese knock offs. I've bought one femmecup from on there and one ladycup from Ebay. I've seen a few local online stores selling lunettes and UKMC but I think that's about it.

There are a number of stores in Auckland that stock cups, but they have hippier hippies up there.

I've just organised a bulk order for my friends (sort of...I took their orders, they paid me, I sourced the cups at the best price I could find) so they couldn't make excuses anymore Very Happy I've had about 10 people order already, and a few who missed my deadline but still want one. My mum and I were discussing openning a store to sell just menstrual stuff because there is a need here.
ankhst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am

Oh ok, well its good they are at least known and available Smile Sounds like they are a little better known there that even the USA. Hmmm... I'll bet the chinese knock-offs are Green Donna. They usually are.
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Awesome! I think that would be great to open a local buisness that sell menstrual cups. Now you are making me want to do that... if only I had the experience or someone to support me. My parents aren't quite with me even my mom thinks I'm dreaming too big and women have every right to feel uncomfortable about their periods and that I am pretty much trying to change cultures within a lifetime.

Maybe I'm not wording it correctly... keep in mind this is a woman that had endometriosis and was very anemic and her periods were always very heavy so she had to get her uterus removed and only her ovaries are there so she still experience PMS and let's just say she has been through a lot as far as reproductive health goes so yeah... I don't blame her though, with all of the stuff she has been through, she has every right to hate them and always warns me that if I inherit her probelms, I am going to likely feel the same way when I'm older.

Back to top Go down

Post  ankhst on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 am

I don't know how widely known cups are. For me it probably helps that I have been fairly active in the pagan community at various times, and both myself and my younger sister have studies natural medicine, and that I'm doing postgraduate work in gender studies - it all adds up to = must discover them sooner or later.

The student magazine at my university ran a story on cups recently, as part of their 'eco my flat' competition (the flat that becomes the most 'green' wins prizes). All of my uni friends have been discussing them, around the time I bought my fist one... so they were all interested in finding out more and getting their mits on one.

The fact that only 2 health food/whole food shops in town had even heard of them is a little disappointing, and probably indicates how (not) well known they really are.
ankhst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top