No more shampoo

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No more shampoo

Post  Guest on Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Ladies, I present to you the second greatest (the cup is number one Smile ) thing I’ve ever tried: the CO/Conditioner Only/No Poo method! I’ve been shampoo-free for a week now and my hair feels fantastic. It’s perfectly clean, softer than ever and not greasy at all.

Yes, that’s right. For the past days I’ve only been using conditioner when washing my hair and it works. I’ve had to wash it every day instead of every other day due to that my hair usually builds up excessive oil rather fast but I think once I give my hair some time to adjust I’ll be able to wash it less frequently

Why does it work? Well, as far as I’ve read about it, most hair products contain oils and silicones. These you cannot get rid of unless you use shampoos which contain sulfate. But shampoos also contain a lot of other substances, e.g. alcohol, which dehydrates the hair and can damage it. The method is based on the fact that if you don’t use products with non-water-soluble ingredients you don’t have to use shampoo.

There're lots of substances to avoid and it was tough finding an approved conditioner. I found a forum online (in Swedish of course) where a list of substances to avoid was written and some girls/women had even posted and updated a thread with approved products there. It really helped me. The method is said to be ideal for curly hair but I think other hair types could benefit from this too. Even though I've had to give up several hair products such as hair spray (my hair mousse and defining spray seemed to be OK though) I personally think it's worth it.

I'd say, if you're curious to try it out, then do it! It won't hurt you and you can always go back to shampoo again if you would eventually find that the method is nothing for you.

Back to top Go down

Re: No more shampoo

Post  CUPCAKE on Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 pm

How ironic. I just unbraided my hair from co-washing it last night. I'm African American and usually only wash my hair once a week. I had previously shampooed my hair already this week so I cowashed in order to get some gel out without using shampoo more than once in a single week. My hair is clean and refreshed. I'm going to try washing with suave conditioners when this Vo5 runs out.
CUPCAKE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon May 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh, you're so lucky for not having to wash you hair often. Hope your co-washing keeps working!

---

And sorry I happened to post this thread in wrong category. It was supposed to be in the 'Off-topic discussion' area. Could anyone, if possible, move it to there?

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Mon May 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I have wavy/curly/frizzy hair, and all the hair stylists say that such women are supposed to (of course) shower every day, but only wash their hair every 3 days. The rest of the time, you wear a shower cap to keep your hair dry. They say that washing curly/wavy/frizzy hair too often strips it of its natural oils and dries it out (even with conditioner). That makes it worse, because when its dry, the little frizzy bits up and down each of the strands flare out more (curly and wavy hair naturally has more of these than straight hair). And even when you do wash your hair, make sure you use a DEEP conditioner.

But the above post sounds interesting. I wonder how my hair woudl react to it... Smile
Melissa569

View user profile http://menstrualcupinfo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kammioderin on Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 pm

I rarely condition my hair. I have stick straight, very fine hair that I prefer to keep about shoulder blade length. Unless I've done something that makes my hair very dirty or grimy feeling I try to wash it every other to every third day. It seems to be holding up very well for me. I've heard of the No Poo movement and thought about trying it, but I'm afraid with my hair being so fine that the conditioner would weigh it down too much.
Kammioderin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 am

The reason I decided to say goodbye to my bottle of shampoo was that I actually think I've tried all brands of shampoo/conditioner on the market. Neither of them did wonders to my hair so I was in fact in a quite desperate state of mind when beginning this method. It's sort of a last resort. How fortunate that the results so far are higher than expected...

Back to top Go down

Post  CUPCAKE on Tue May 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Kammioderin wrote:I rarely condition my hair. I have stick straight, very fine hair that I prefer to keep about shoulder blade length. Unless I've done something that makes my hair very dirty or grimy feeling I try to wash it every other to every third day. It seems to be holding up very well for me. I've heard of the No Poo movement and thought about trying it, but I'm afraid with my hair being so fine that the conditioner would weigh it down too much.

The conditioner won't have time to really weigh down your hair because you'll be rinsing it out.
CUPCAKE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  testina_blu on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:49 am

Ladies, you picked my interest, so I did a little internet research and finally I gave it a try. I can't believe it... it works, and it works GREAT! cheers

Thank you for bringing up the subject!
testina_blu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 am

It's been over three weeks since I washed my hair with shampoo for the last time! I've realized a few things:

- Sometimes my hair gets oily even directly after a wash. That's not the co-washing's fault, it's me who sometimes don't rinse my hair thoroughly enough.
- My curls are getting better. I usually wash my hair in the evening and when I wake up in the morning my hair is in a mess. All I need though is some water that I spray on the hair and then the curls re-shape themselves
- I think my hair has turned into a slightly darker shade, but I like it this way.
- It's a bit thicker and has more volume!

Back to top Go down

Post  CUPCAKE on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 pm

testina_blu wrote:Ladies, you picked my interest, so I did a little internet research and finally I gave it a try. I can't believe it... it works, and it works GREAT! cheers

Thank you for bringing up the subject!

Aw, I'm glad you liked it.

If you are cowashing your hair you'll need to occasionally clarify it with a clarifying shampoo. I do this once a month just to make sure my hair is really clean and to ensure that my hair products continue to respond as they did when I first used them.
CUPCAKE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  testina_blu on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:34 pm

I' using the system with backing soda solution for actual wash and a mild vinegar solution for rinse, as I found best explained here:

http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html

It seems to work well for me (I have long straight hair and I was afraid to weigh them down)
Do I need to use clarifying shampoo too?
testina_blu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CUPCAKE on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:13 pm

testina_blu wrote:I' using the system with backing soda solution for actual wash and a mild vinegar solution for rinse, as I found best explained here:

http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html

It seems to work well for me (I have long straight hair and I was afraid to weigh them down)
Do I need to use clarifying shampoo too?

If you don't mind the pH of baking soda, it's good. You won't need to clarify.
CUPCAKE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  testina_blu on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:24 am

Ok, thank you! Smile
testina_blu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  selloway on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey! I'm no poo too! I did it about a year ago, quit, and now I've been back on for a little over a week. There's a whole livejournal community for it too. :]
[url=community.livejournal.com/no_poo]community.livejournal.com/no_poo[/url]

selloway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  radianceunveiled on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:58 pm

I know I am late to this post! But Ladies has anyone tried DevaCurl! I love the products. You have No Poo, One Condition and a light styling gel; AnGel that is water soluble and my hair doesn't get stiff! I only No-poo once a week and I use the One Condition every day or every other day! These are the best products ever. If you have curly hair, swvay hair, tightly curly hair or just wavy hair then Deva is for you. Say good bye to frizz and dryness. I have been using these products for three months and I have no frizz or dryness anymore. My hair is so healthy, has body and is so soft!
radianceunveiled

View user profile http://www.radianceunveiled.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:23 pm

I'll have to see about that. I have wavy/frizzy hair. Its think because I have a lot of it, but the strands themselves as individuals are thin and easily broken... I have a very difficult time finding hair products that make my hair look nice. It would be great to find something that stops the poofyness and frizz. I've tried friz-ease, and V05, but it didn't help. I need something that makes my hair lay down in neat, soft waves or curls. I was thinking of trying that Ouidad stuff, but its expensive... I'll se about this. Smile
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  Serpent on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:38 pm

sounds nice but i'm too lazy to wash my hair daily Laughing i once accidentally used only the conditioner and it looked dirtier than it had been Mad
i think it's better to use something to wash the dirt off first, even stuff like sodium...
Serpent

View user profile http://serpent-849.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  radianceunveiled on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi M,
Ouidad has SLS in it and silicones in the products. DevaCurl is SLS FREE, plastic Free and has NO yuckies in it. I have tried so many products and nothing worked until I found Devacurl. My hair either was frizzy and felt like straw or plan dry with hardly any curl definition. I read the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey and her book is a easy read and very informative. You can check out the testimonials on her fan page on FaceBook. The products are not cheap but so worth it as they work! People post pictures all the time of before and after. I saw results in my hair after the first week of using the products. Here are some places to get Devacurl: http://store.devachansalon.com/StoreFront.bok?cart_id=74062 and www.amazon.com, www.naturallycurly.com and http://www.yourbeautystop.com/Scripts/prodList.asp I love the products so much it is all I use now as every time I try and skimp my hair never comes out right and I always have frizz and dryness. But with Devacurl or Devacare I have no problems! Love it Love it Love it! bounce Very Happy Oh and if you really want to treat yourself. When you need a hair trim get a Deva cut! Best hair cut I have ever had since wearing my hair curly as my old stylist would always cut it to short. Now I go to Vero Salon in Oakland and Jessica cuts my hair she is great!
radianceunveiled

Back to top Go down

Re: No Poo

Post  leaper84 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm doing a ditch the disposables challenge for 2 months... and one of the things I decided to do is to switch to no poo. The first week I didn't use anything but conditioner then I started using baking soda and sometimes follow it with ACV rinse. now I rarely use conditioner. My scalp gets a bit itchy sometimes but they say tea tree oil will help. No idea where I can get that here in Vietnam so I'm waiting for my sister to visit and bring me some. Anyway, my hair looks alright --- sometimes it even looks great. I haven't decided if I'll totally ditch the conditioner

leaper84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NO Poo

Post  radianceunveiled on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Leaper84,
Following the Curly Girl method can be a bit challenging. Have you read the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey? I found it very helpful as I started the conditioner only method. I do use her products but what I do like about her book is it tells you what type of products to use no matter what the brand and how to cleanse your hair and take care of your beautiful locks! The key is the ingredients and NO silicones and Alcohol! A great recourse page is also naturallycurly.com. They have tons of products you can purchase and resource to read. I am a big fan of the DevaCurl Product line as I believe it is the best product line out! Very Happy You mentioned baking soda and ACV. Be careful Exclamation as you want to make sure that your hair has the correct PH balance, if your hair gets thrown off it can make your hair dry, brittle, too acidic, look crazy or not act right. Believe me I know. I have been doing the CG method for a while and I have used a ton of products. In the beginning I became a product junky now I have one line that I use and stick with. Also I want to tell you don't use a hodge podge of products either as each company makes their line to work synergistically (together). Many times we start off using what we have in our bathroom then we don’t get the results we are looking for. Another tip sometime when you start off using a product line there is an adjustment period before you start to see a difference in your hair. I have been using Deva products for four months and it took about a month of consistent use to adjust now my hair has perfect curls everyday. As for all my old products that don't work I gave them away or some people sale theirs. Good luck and I hope that helps.

Last edited by radianceunveiled on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled word)
radianceunveiled

Back to top Go down

Post  radianceunveiled on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:25 pm

leaper84
I forgot to mention the itchy scalp could be from build up. Especially if you are using products with silicone in them. Silicones builds up on the hair it is a temporary fix to make your hair shiny after a while it will build up on your hair, causing your hair to be dull and dry your hair out as it blocks out moisture from getting in. You can exfoliate the scalpe with 1 Tsp of brown sugar to 4 Tbls of conditioner with NO silicones in it. If you decide to try DEVACurl out! I would recommend No Poo to cleanse, OneConditon to condition your hair and AnGel to style. The DevaCurl three step simple and easy and a great way to manage your curls and get them in healthy shape! flower
radianceunveiled

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa569 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you for the tips, I will check into those Smile
Melissa569

Back to top Go down

Post  radianceunveiled on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:34 pm

No Problem Smile
radianceunveiled

Back to top Go down

Re: No Shampoo

Post  leaper84 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:29 pm

thanks I'll look into it. I got into no 'poo to reduce the use of plastic bottles so I'm not sure how's that going to work out, though. will try the brown sugar scrub

leaper84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thornapple on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I've been trying to reduce my impact with shampoo as well. I haven't gone no poo because frankly, I enjoy shampoo. I've been looking for shampoo and conditioner bars but they are either all sealed in plastic or suck. I have been using Soapworks Shampoo and Conditioner which takes care of the conditioner part and Doctor Bronner's which takes care of the shampoo part.

Thornapple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top